This qualification system is one with a lot of interest. After all, we have an Olympic Champion in Javelin Throw.
Let us look at how athletes will be able to qualify for Paris 2024 Olympics in Athletics.
Athletics at 2024 Paris Olympics
There will be 48 events in athletics at Paris Olympics – 23 in Men, 23 in Women and 2 in Mixed.
A total of 1810 athletes will qualify for Paris Olympics in Athletics. Number of athletes that can qualify in each event is mentioned in brackets in above table.
Point to Note: A maximum of 3 athletes per nation can qualify for an individual event. Similarly, a maximum of 2 teams per nation can qualify for a team event (Mixed Team Race Walk is classified as team event). In case of relay events, a maximum of 1 team can qualify per nation.
An athlete can qualify via two ways for any individual event:
- 50% of the qualification spots will be allocated basis athletes who clear qualification standard.
- 50% of the spots will be allocated basis World Ranking list
A team can qualify for Relay event based on following pathway:
- Top 14 teams at World Athletics Relay will qualify
- Remaining spots will be given based on World Athletics Performance List.
Here are the qualification standards for each of the events:
- For all individual events, qualification and ranking period is 1 July 2023 – 30 June 2024
- For 10,000m, Combined events, Race Walks and Relays, timeline is 31 December 2022 – 30 June 2024
- For marathon, timeline is 1 November 2022 – 30 April 2024
World Athletics will publish final qualification list basis entry standard and World Ranking on 2nd July 2024.
Wishing all Indian athletes all the best for the qualification period.