2012: Saina Nehwal | 2016: PV Sindhu | 2020: PV Sindhu
In each of the last 3 Olympics, India has won a medal in Badminton. Let us look at how Badminton qualification will work for Paris 2024 Olympics!
Badminton at Paris 2024 Olympics
Just like Tokyo Olympics, Badminton at Paris 2024 Olympics will be played across 5 events:
Men’s Singles, Men’s Doubles, Women’s Singles, Women’s Doubles, Mixed Doubles
Here are the number of athletes who will qualify across events:
Qualification is only going to be based on “Race to Paris Ranking list“. The ranking list will be based on results between 1 May 2023 and 28 April 2024.
Players can earn ranking points at any of the following tournaments:
- Thomas & Uber Cup
- Sudirman Cup
- World Championships
- Grade 2 BWF tour tournaments – Levels 1 to 6
- Grade 3 BWF Continental tour tournaments – International Challenge, International Series & Future Series
- Continental Championships (individual and team)
- Continental Multi sports games – Pan American Games, European Games, and African Games (if sanctioned during the qualification period)
- Any other international event sanctioned by BWF and included in advance and with BWF approval as being part of the World Ranking Lists
Rule for qualification: In both Men’s and Women’s Singles, if athletes are ranked in top 16, a nation will be able to qualify 2 players in that event. Otherwise, 1 athlete per nation subject to maximum 38 players. In Doubles, if a nation has 2 pairs ranked in top 8, 2 pairs can qualify otherwise 1 pair will qualify subject to maximum 16 pairs for each doubles event.
Quota allocation will also be governed continental representation constraint: Each of the 5 continents will have at least 1 player qualified in each of the event.
The qualification system is same as Tokyo Olympics for Badminton.
Qualification Timeline: 1 May 2023 – 28 April 2024
We will update this post next year once Ranking list starts getting published. Hopefully we have representation across 5 events in Badminton at Paris 2024 Olympics.