Basketball at the Paris 2024 Olympics will be played in 2 formats: Standard 5X5 Basketball and 3X3 Basketball.
We will cover qualification process for both formats.
Basketball (5X5) at Paris Olympics
12 teams will qualify for each of Men’s and Women’s Basketball tournament at Paris Olympics.
1 quota is allocated to host nation (France). Rest 11 quotas will be given as follows:
- 7 nations will qualify through 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup (2 America, 2 Europe, 1 Africa, 1 Asia, 1 Oceania)
- Rest 4 spots will be given through Olympic qualifying tournament held in 2024. Teams will have to qualify for Olympic qualifying tournament through a Pre- Qualifier tournament that will be held in 2023. India will be part of this pre-qualifier tournament for Asia.
- There will be 4 Olympic qualifying tournaments with 6 teams each. 1 spot is available through each qualifier.
- 1 spot will be given to the winner of 2022 FIBA World Cup
- 10 spots will be given through Olympic qualifying tournaments. 16 teams will qualify for these Olympic qualifying tournaments through Pre-Qualifying tournaments to be held in November 2023.
Basketball (3X3) at Paris Olympics
Only 8 teams will qualify for each of Men’s and Women’s 3X3 Basketball tournament at Paris Olympics.
The 8 spots will be allocated as follows:
- Top 3 ranked teams as on 1st November, 2023 will get a quota. However, through rankings not more than 2 nations from same continent can qualify.
- 1 quota to be given at Olympic Qualifying tournament 1
- 1 quota to be given at Olympic Qualifying tournament 2
- 3 quotas to be given at Olympic Qualifying tournament 3
One can check live status of nations currently in qualification place as per rankings here – https://fiba3x3.com/en/olympics/olympics-how-to-qualify.html
Currently Indian Men’s 3X3 team is ranked 30th in the World (Rank as on 21 Dec, 2022). If there are able to perform well in 2023, they will be in with a shot of qualifying for Olympic Qualifying tournaments.