In a few days from now, the 2022 edition of Commonwealth Games will kick-off in Birmingham. Here is a look at the Indian athletes who will be participating and their schedule.
Dates for 2022 Commonwealth Games: 28 July – 8 August
Venue: Birmingham, UK
Where to watch: The Commonwealth Games will be LIVE on Sony Network and Sony LIV.
Sports at 2022 Commonwealth Games: Athletes will compete in 280 events across 20 sports. Around 5000 athletes are expected to take part in this event from 72 nations. India is sending a strong 217 member contingent to 2022 Commonwealth Games. Out of 20 sports, India will not be competing in 3X3 Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Netball and Rugby Sevens.
Indian Squad for the Games and schedule of events:
Wrestling: Here is the squad for wrestling –
- Pooja Gehlot – Women’s 50 kg
- Vinesh Phogat – Women’s 53 kg
- Anshu Malik – Women’s 57 kg
- Sakshi Malik – Women’s 62 kg
- Divya Kakran – Women’s 68 kg
- Pooja Sihag – Women’s 76 kg
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya – Men’s 57 kg
- Bajrang Punia – Men’s 65 kg
- Naveen – Men’s 74 kg
- Deepak Punia – Men’s 86 kg
- Deepak – Men’s 97 kg
- Mohit Grewal Men’s 125 kg
Wrestling will take place on 5th & 6th August.
Weightlifting – Here is the squad for Weightlifting –
- Mirabai Chanu – Women’s 49 kg
- Bindyarani Devi – Women’s 55 kg
- Popy Hazarika – Women’s 59 kg
- Usha Kumara – Women’s 87 kg
- Purnima Pandey – Women’s +87 kg
- Sanket Mahadev – Men’s 55 kg
- Chanambam Rishikanta Singh – Men’s 55 kg
- Jeremy Lalrinnunga – Men’s 67 kg
- Achinta Sheuli – Men’s 73 kg
- Ajay Singh – Men’s 81 kg
- Vikas Thakur – Men’s 96 kg
- Ragala Venkat Rahul – Men’s 96 kg
Weightlifting will take place between 30th July and 4th August.
Triathlon – 2 Indians will take part in Triathlon – Sanjana Joshi & Pragnya Mohan.
Triathlon will take place on 29th July and 31st July.
Table Tennis: Table Tennis will take place across 2 events – Men’s Team and Women’s Team.
Men’s Team – Sharath Kamal, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran, Sanil Shetty, Harmeet Desai
Women’s Team: Manika Batra, Diya Chitale, Sreeja Akula, Reeth Rishya
Table Tennis will take place between 29th July and 5th August.
Swimming: 4 Swimmers will represent India – Sajan Prakash, Srihari Natraj, Advait Page, Kushagra Rawat
Swimming will take place between 29th July and 3rd August.
Squash: Squash will take place over 5 events – Men’s Singles, Women’s Singles, Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles, Mixed Doubles. 9 players will represent India in Squash –
- Saurav Ghosal: Men’s Singles & Mixed Doubles
- Ramit Tandon: Men’s Singles, Men’s Doubles & Mixed Doubles
- Abhay Singh: Men’s Singles & Men’s Doubles
- Joshna Chinappa: Women’s Singles, Women’s Doubles & Mixed Doubles
- Sunayna Kuruvilla: Women’s Singles
- Anahat Singh: Women’s Singles
- Dipika Pallikal: Women’s Doubles & Mixed Doubles
- Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu: Men’s Doubles
- Velavan Senthilkumar: Men’s Doubles
Squash will take place between 29th July and 8th August.
Lawn Bowls: 10 players will be part of Lawn Bowls team.
Men: Dinesh Kumar, Chandan Kumar Singh, Navneet Singh, Sunil Bahadur, Mridul Borgohain
Women: Pinki, Lovely Choubey, Tania Choudhury, Nayanmoni Saikia, Rupa Rani Tirkey
Lawn Bowls will take place between 29th July and 2nd August.
Judo: 6 Judokas will represent India – Vijay Kumar Yadav (M 60 Kg), Jasleen Singh Saini (M 66 kg), Deepak Deswal (M 100 kg), L Shushila Devi (W 48 kg), Suchika Tariyal (W 57 kg), Tulika Maan (W 78+kg)
Judo will take place between 1st and 3rd August.
Hockey: Hockey at 2022 Commonwealth Games is a 10 team tournament in both Men’s and Women’s format. Team are divided into 2 pools of 5 teams each. Top 2 team in each pool will progress to Semis.
Indian Men’s team is in pool B along with England, Canada, Wales and Ghana.
Indian Women’s team is in pool A along with England, Canada, Wales and Ghana.
Hockey will take place between 29th July and 8th August.
Gymnastics: 7 gymnasts will represent India.
Men’s: Satyajit Mondal, Yogeshwar Singh, Saif Tamboli
Women’s: Pranati Nayak, Ruthuja Nataraj, Protishta Samata, Bavleen Kaur
Artistic Gymnastics will take place between 29th July and 2nd August. Rhythmic Gymnastics will take place between 4th & 6th August.
Cycling: 13 cyclists will represent India in Cycling.
Men’s Team: Rojit Singh, Ronaldo Singh, David Beckham. Esow Alben, Vishvajeet, Naman, Venkappa,Dinesh, Annantha.
Women’s Team: Triyasha Paul, Meenakshi, Shushikala Agashe, Mayuri Dhanraj Lute
Cricket: Women’s cricket tournament will take place at 2022 Commonwealth Games. 8 teams will take part. They are divided into 2 groups with top 2 teams progressing to Semis.
India is in group A along with Australia, Pakistan and Barbados.
Cricket will take place between 29th July and 7th August.
Boxing – 12 boxers will represent India in Boxing.
- Amit Panghal – 51 kg
- Mohammad Hussamuddin – 57 kg
- Shiva Thapa – 63.5 kg
- Rohit Tokas – 67 kg
- Sumit Kundu – 75 kg
- Ashish Chaudhary – 80 kg
- Sanjeet – 92 kg
- Sagar – 92+kg
- Nitu – 48 kg
- Nikhat Zareen – 50 kg
- Jaismine – 60 kg
- Lovlina Borgohain – 70 kg
Boxing will take place between 29th July and 7th August.
Badminton – Badminton will take place across 6 events – Men’s Singles, Women’s Singles, Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles, Mixed Doubles, Mixed Team.
Here is the quad for badminton: PV Sindhu, Aakarshi Kashyap, Treesa Jolly, Gayatri Gopichand, Ashwini Ponappa, Lakshya Sen, Kidambi Srikanth, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy, Chirag Shetty, B Sumeeth Reddy
Mixed team event will take place between 29th July and 2nd August. Other 5 events will take place between 3rd and 8th August.
Athletics: India is sending a 37 member team in Athletics.
- Men’s 3000m Steeplechase – Avinash Sable
- Men’s Marathon – Nitender Rawat
- Men’s Long Jump – M Sreeshankar, Muhammed Anees Yahiya
- Men’s Triple Jump – Abdulla Aboobacker, Praveen Chithravel, Eldhose Paul
- Men’s Javelin Throw – Neeraj Chopra, DP Manu, Rohit Yadav
- Men’s 10 km Race Walk – Sandeep Kumar, Amit Khatri
- Men’s 4 x 400 m Relay – Amoj Jacob, Noah Nirmal Tom, Arokia Rajiv, Muhammed Ajmal, Naganathan Pandi, Rajesh Ramesh
- Women’s 100 m – Dhanalakshmi Sekar
- Women’s 100 m Hurdles – Jyothi Yarraji
- Women’s Triple Jump – Aishwarya B
- Women’s Long Jump – Ancy Sojan, Aishwarya B
- Women’s Shot Put – Manpreet Kaur
- Women’s Discus Throw – Seema Punia, Navjeet Kaur Dhilllon
- Women’s Javelin Throw – Annu Rani, Shilpa Rani
- Women’s Hammer Throw – Manju Bala Singh, Sarita Romit Singh
- Women’s 10 km Race Walk – Bhawna Jat, Priyanka Goswami
- Women’s 4 x 100 m Relay – Hima Das, Dutee Chand, Srabani Nanda, MV Jilna, NS Simi, Dhanalakshmi Sekar
Athletics will take place between 2nd and 7th August. Men’s Marathon is scheduled on 30th July.
India won 66 medals at 2018 Commonwealth Games – 26 Gold, 20 Silver & 20 Bronze. How many will they win at 2022 Games?